The Cultural Council of Santa Cruz County was founded in 1979 through a cultural action plan as a private, nonprofit agency, and chronicles a long and successful presence in Santa Cruz County. The Council continues during its 33-year history to uphold its mission statement: To promote, connect, and invest in the arts in order to stimulate creativity and vibrancy in Santa Cruz County.
To promote, connect, and invest in the arts in order to stimulate creativity and vibrancy in Santa Cruz County.
We envision a more vibrant Santa Cruz County, where individual and collective artistic expression thrives and where the arts are a valued part of all aspects of our diverse culture, economy, educational systems, and everyday life.
- Provide funding and support services to artists and arts organizations.
- Support a wide range of arts education opportunities.
- Advocate for ongoing support for the arts.
- Lead effective community collaborations and partnerships.
- Communicate both the intrinsic and economic value of the arts.
Our Core Values
The Cultural Council of Santa Cruz County believes that:
- The arts are integral to a vital and thriving community because they:
- provide for individual expression and resilience;
- create common cultural experiences;
- help to create a sense of community and belonging;
- contribute to a healthy economic environment;
- develop critical skills in communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity in young people and adults; and
- have the potential to transform society.
- The diversity and artistic expression of many artists, individuals, and cultures directly affect our community's unique quality of life.
- Artistic creativity and lifelong arts learning are civic investments that inspire and enrich our lives.
The Cultural Council serves Santa Cruz County through a variety of programs and services, including:
- Grant Making – investing in artists and arts organizations for cultural programs, projects and professional development;
- Arts Education: SPECTRA & Mariposa’s Art – promoting arts education in public schools, reaching over 10,000 children and youth each year;
- Technical Assistance & Workforce Development – supporting and developing the creative sector through the Cultural Council Associates, Open Studios Art Tour, Exhibitions, workshops, and Fiscal Sponsorship; and
- Collaborations & Initiatives – advancing arts and culture county-wide through the naming of a Poet Laureate, advocacy efforts, cultural tourism, and much more.
2011-12 Annual Report
The Cultural Council's tax ID number:
Statement of Non-Discrimination
The Cultural Council's Board and Staff are committed to supporting and advancing the arts in Santa Cruz County without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, military status, political opinions, national origin, or disability status.